The Senior Scientist in Research as part of the Nutrition Innovation team will be responsible for the development of short and long-term strategies to deliver new technologies, new products, and product improvements, or product claims that provide a competitive advantage to Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify, evaluate and champion new, patentable and innovative technologies that can be used in development of new and improved products for pets.
- Partner with manager/director to develop and refine research strategy to establish clear deliverables for identification and evaluation of new technologies. Ensure strategy delivers a pipeline of technology options for short term and long term commercialization.
- Provide expertise integrating basic scientific data (e.g. biochemical, genomic, metabolomics data) with clinical outcomes. Integrate consumer and veterinary insights into the research program strategy.
- Maintain familiarity with the latest developments in appropriate areas of genomics and genetics so that new products and product improvements reflect the true “state of the art.”
- Design, analyze summarize and write final reports of data from internal and outside research studies and make presentations to management and cross-functional Hill’s groups especially Product Development, Clinical Studies, and Marketing.
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects, project budgets, time-lines and be accountable for deliverables.
- Cultivate relationships with researchers and clinicians outside of Hill’s to provide expertise, ideas and technologies that fill gaps.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties or functions.
Education/ Experience Requirements:
- PhD in nutrition (human or animal), physiology, biochemistry, or related field.
- 8 + years of post-graduate experience in basic or applied science.
- Experience in canine/feline or human nutrition or pharmaceutical industry.
Expected Areas of Skills:
- Proven experience in biochemical, genomic, and metabolic research.
- Strong technical skills in scientific method utilization, data analysis, and problem-solving.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
- Basic knowledge of nutritional biochemistry.
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills to foster cross-functional working relationships throughout Hill’s and external organizations.